Call time: 8:15am Location: Downtown, LA - 3 day call!

I started doing background work back in NYC many many years ago. I was starting to take acting lessons and wanted, no, yearned to be on a set. I was told by an agent to start with background work. It would give me a sense of what goes on during the making of a movie or TV show. I'd learn some technical things as well as get used to being in front of a camera, even if I'd only be in the background. Bottom line, as an actor, you have to develop listening skills as well as learn about camera angles, eye lines, etc. It's a great beginners classroom, the world of background acting.

So I took the advise and I started working background. Since NYC, I've done it off and on here in LA. Lately, (thanks to our magnificent economy and the dried up commercial landscape, GRRRRR!) I've gone back to doing it on a regular basis again.

At first I was resistant, almost militant about returning to the background. I had a very successful commercial career as a principal actor for several years. I'd done national campaigns for Dodge Caravan, T-Mobile, Bank of America, just to name a few. I even had a small but recurring role on a Fox syndicated TV show. So the idea of going back to background was not appealing. However, work is work and it's better than NOT working so I renewed my Central Casting status and got myself a calling service. So here I am, back in business.

Having said that, let me be honest, there are days I hate it. I hate sitting in "holding", I hate having to wait for the crew and cast to eat before I can eat, I hate being a nameless actor in the crowd. Remember, I've been on the other side, I've had my name on the door of a honey wagon, I've had a director's chair set up for me, PA's running around getting me water bottles, the first in line at lunch, wardrobe, makeup and hair fussing over me so there are days, it's just plain hard to be background.

But sometimes there is a booking that is so special, so amazing, where something happens and you feel invigorated, you feel like you've been part of something great, and those are the days you realized how privileged you actually are, even as background.

This is the story of one such booking: (I'm going to use names here because they deserved the recognition)

I was booked as CLERICAL at a police station for the movie FASTER! starring Billy Bob Thornton, Dwayne Johnson and Carla Cugino. As I understand, it's a fast paced action police drama. The 3 day booking is for all the scenes they are shooting at the police station. We are shooting in Downtown LA in a beautiful old building. It will be doubling for Bakersfield, CA. We are only shooting interiors. I've been told to bring muted tones, nice business casual.

I arrive at base camp and am told immediately to go get breakfast. Wow! They want us to eat before they even check us in. I see the lunch truck and look at the menu; Eggs Florentine, Mexican Sausage Burrito, Shrimp and Lobster (yes, Lobster) Omelet, and the rest of your basics. Okay, so they have A LOT of money on this film. I order the omelet (I'm not stupid, you know. Can't pass up Lobster for breakfast). I grab my breakfast, some coffee and head over to the tents where the rest of background has gathered. I quickly realize that many of my fellow BGAs know each other. They've worked various TV shows together as cops and detectives so they've formed a friendship. I sit down by myself in a corner, thinking, they wouldn't want a stranger in their mists...wrong!

"Hey, chicka, what are you doing alone over there, get your butt over here." That came from a beautiful lady, who was the ring leader of the group. She's a Veteran BGA which means she works almost every day and has even been a regular background on several TV shows. Everyone knows her, not only because she's good at what she does, but she has one of the most positive uplifting life attitudes I'd ever seen and in THIS business, that's saying a lot.

So I take my plate and make my way over to the crowd. Introductions follow and we are now quickly becoming friends.

PA comes over. I have to tell you, this PA was perhaps one of the nicest and funniest I'd ever worked with. (Since this booking, I've worked with him twice again and he's still the same, funny dude.) He tells us to head over to wardrobe, makeup and hair. Now as background, you are told to come "camera ready." This means YOU do your own hair and make up. This is standard practice. Since I'm a professional, I've done my hair and applied my makeup, so I think I'm ready. I go through wardrobe, (they weren't standing on that dreaded lift, yeah!!) and I'm told to wear the grey for the first day and the brown for the second. The third day will be grey again. After wardrobe I pass through hair and makeup where I see they are actually DOING the background actors. I'm looked over and told my hair looks great (they even thanked me!) but they want to fix my makeup. I sit in a chair and I'm given the full makeup treatment. WOW! This doesn't happen often, especially when there are over 50 background actors. I'm impressed.

We head over to set. We are given a holding area on the 1st floor of the building, the set is on the 4th. We sat at holding for maybe 30 minutes when we were called up to set.

The set, which is the police station looks fantastic. I mean, authentic to the max. There are computer screens with mugshots up, files with Bakersfield Police on the cover, plagues on the walls, etc. We meet the Director and 1st AD (yes, you heard me, they introduced themselves) then the PAs place us around the room in various positions; some are at desks, others by file cabinets, some uniformed BGA have "criminals" in handcuffs, the works. Basically, they want the room to look like an authentic working police station.

We are ready to rehearse. Walk on the set...Billy Bob Thornton and Carla Cugino.

Great! I love both actors. Billy Bob in SLING BLADE and MONSTERS BALL great! Carla in WATCHMEN and RIGHTEOUS KILL was amazing. I'm thrilled because it's a tight set and we'll actually see them "do their thing."

All the BGAs get in their positions, the Director goes over the scene with the actors, they go over their marks, we rehearse a few times, okay, let's do this!

PICTURE'S UP!

BACKGROUND...ACTION!

I'm fiddling with some files, I pretend to write something down, I look up and see the PA motioning for me to walk across the room. I take a file (looks more authentic) and I walk across, miming "hi" to a detective sitting at a desk....CUT!

Great. The Director is happy, actors are happy, everyone is laughing, smiling.

The 1st AD goes over to the PA and chat. The PA comes over to me. "Okay, when you hear Billy say, "coffee" you are going to walk across behind him." WOW!!!! I'm in the shot! Great!

Here we go.

BACKGROUND...ACTION!

I'm by the file cabinet, I pretend to write something...I'm listening for my cue...I grab another file..."coffee"...there's my cue...I grab the file and walk across behind Billy and Carla...scene continues for a minute...CUT!

Great! Perfect! Let's do it again!

We do the scene several times and it's always on the mark. Professionals doing their job, plain and simple.

We stayed on the set pretty much all day except for the lunch break. Lunch being as amazing as breakfast. I also got to witness what is referred to as the"Second Team" preparing for car stunts. They had a Ferrari and a classic Chevy at base camp. The second team had a board up with drawings for the sequence of stunts in a car chase. It was fascinating watching them meticulously go over every frame, step by step.

After lunch, we went back to holding for, again, only 30 minutes and we were called back to set. We remained on set throughout all the sets up and Director, DP conference, actor rehearsal, everything...it was a real lesson in film making. I was fascinated and grateful.

I tried to soak it all in, background rarely gets such an in depth view of the creative process.

After 10 hours, we were exhausted. While the Director and DP were discussing camera shots and lighting, four of us BGAs sat down in the back at a desk just relaxing.

The following, I'm proud to say, actually occurred:

As we sat around quietly watching and waiting, Billy Bob comes over, grabs a chair and sits down with us. At first, we were a bit shocked. Folks, the stars, the big stars and even the NOT so big stars, NEVER NEVER come over and chat with background. They might, if we're standing around waiting for action to be called, make a quick comment, smile or even say hello. But walk over and pull up a chair to talk to us? Never or shall I say, rarely.

So now we are sitting with Billy, chatting about the shoot. He turns to me and asks how long I've been doing background. I tell him. I also tell him that I'm interested in writing and producing so this is good training for me. I get the opportunity to learn what to do and what NOT to do on a set as a producer. He agrees. Then he proceeds to tell me a story. When he was a young actor coming up the ranks he used to do background work all the time. He used to watch everything intensely, learning as much as possible. He also remembers the times he was treated poorly as background and the times he was treated nicely. He promised himself that if he ever got in a position of power where he would be calling the shots, he would never treat background badly.

Just then the PA told us to go back to our assigned positions. We are about to start rolling again. I got up and so did he. I turned to him and said, "Thank you for being so gracious. It is rare that an actor of your stature takes the time to speak to the background actors. It is truly appreciated." He smiled, extended his hand and said, "By the way, I'm Billy Bob, it was a pleasure speaking with you. Good luck." I shook his hand, told him my name, thanked him again and ran over to my position to wait for the Director to call ACTION.

What can I say, except, that it was an inspiring moment and one I will never forget.

For the rest of the shoot, he continued to be friendly and gracious. Carla, was friendly as well, but a very intense actress, always suggesting new ways of doing the scene, different approaches she could take with the character, a real professional in my book.

The rest of the shoot went as well, just as inspiring. I made some great friends and learned a few things that I will apply next time I'm the boss. At the end of the 3rd day, the Director thanked us all for doing such a great job.

Great story, right?

Yeap. Experiences like this remind me, we are indeed, members of an elite group, and like most elite groups...membership has it's privileges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call time: 2:45pm Location: UCLA Teaching Hospital

Call time: 3:30pm Location: Raleigh Studios, Hollywood, CA.